Experience You Can Trust to Give the Attention You Deserve!

Posts tagged with "Tagged child support"

How To Get a Passport For a Minor With Only One Parent

Originally posted on May 3, 2017

It’s almost summer. Child Support Specialists receives questions about travel this time of year. In 2001, the U.S. government began requiring both parents signatures on kids passport applications. This applies to new passports for children under age 14. Up until that point, it was possible for a single parent to complete a child’s application without the other parent.

Application Process

  • Print out the passport application.
  • Complete everything on the application except the signatures.
  • Make an appointment to meet your ex at your local passport office and bring your child with you.
  • Bring all of the required documentation with you, including your child’s birth certificate and your ID.
  • Sign the application in the presence of passport officials. (If you sign it in advance, your signature will be void and you’ll have to start over.)

If the other parent is in agreement about applying for your child’s passport but cannot accompany you to the passport office, he or she can complete a Statement of Consent and have it notarized to prove the authenticity of the signature. Once you have this documentation, bring it with you to the passport office and show it to the officials.


If the other parent is unavailable, complete the “Statement of Special Circumstances,” which can be found at the bottom of the Statement of Consent. This will allow you to explain why it is not possible for the other parent to give consent.


  • If you have sole custody of your child, submit the court order establishing custody along with your child’s passport application.
  • If only one parent is listed on the child’s birth certificate, then two signatures are not required.

Child Support from a Tax Return

Originally posted on April 18, 2017

Child Support


Tax Season is a big time for child support agencies. At Child Support Specialists we are looking to get large amounts of owed support during tax season.  What are the pros and cons?

Tax DeadlinePros

  • A custodial parent can get support from the non- custodial parent even if he/she did not receive payment during the year.
  • A parent can receive a large amount owed.
  • It helps the non-custodial parent pay towards back support.
  • The absent parent may not file for taxes.
  • The absent parent may owe taxes and not have a return.
  • A parent must have an order of support and the absent parent must be behind in support.

Some parents want to know if they will receive the tax return from the new spouse also. This can be done only if the absent parent filed with the new spouse. It can’t be done if they did not file together.

Do you have an agency working for you? We strongly suggest that you do so you can receive his/her tax return for child support. It’s that time of year.

Children smiling and posing for the camera.

New Law

CarOriginally posted on February 8, 2017
Child Support laws continue to change. The most recent was the vehicle registration law. The new law in Texas will no longer allow absent parents that are behind on child support to renew the car registration. Do you feel this will make an impact? Reports already show it has. Click the link below to read an article for more information.